Friday 4 November 2016

Niche Game Club: The Deadly Tower of Monsters

Welcome to the second Niche Game Club, think of a book club but for games.
We'll pick a game and give everyone chance to play it, then meet back here for a discussion.

I'm sticking with the PS Plus subscription service games for now so that anyone subscribed can pick up the game free and anyone else can try it out for £5.99.

This month I want to take a look at The Deadly Tower of Monsters on PS4 and Steam. Don't let the cheesy title put you off, it's like that on purpose. It's a twin stick shooter kind of game but if this doesn't sound like your kind of thing I still recommend you try it, maybe play the first hour. Given this is Game Club and not a review I'll let you form your own opinions but I will say the gameplay is enjoyable so no worries there.

The big draw of this game is the presentation, and that's why I'm recommending it. The whole thing from start menu to credits is set as a DVD release of a classic sci-fi B-movie, with director commentary. There's cheesy characters, stop-motion creatures, dramatic music and a lot of physical special effects which ironically end up being computer generated as part of the game.

I've loved the humour and style but I'd like to know what y'all liked best about the game? Was there a piece of dialogue, visual humour or reference to sci-fi movies that you particularly enjoyed?


I'll check back in through the month before we find something new for December.

No comments:

Post a Comment